Monday 25 June 2012

Princeton Returns: a discussion

Source: MiBAC
I received the latest volume of the Journal of Art Crime today. It includes my regular column, "Context Matters". For this number I decided to break with my previous custom and write a longer piece on the recent return of antiquities from Princeton to Italy. I include a list of the returned pieces as well as a discussion of the need for transparency.

The discussion piece also notes some of the other North American museums that have acquired material once owned by Edoardo Almagià, including the Dallas Museum of Art, the Tampa Museum of Art, and Boston's Museum of Fine Art.

I conclude with the question: "How can Princeton proceed and seek to restore its patinated reputation?"

Reference

Gill, D. W. J. 2012. "Context matters: Princeton and recently surfaced antiquities." Journal of Art Crime 7: 59-66.

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

No comments:

The Stern Collection in New York: Cycladic or Cycladicising?

Courtesy of Christos Tsirogiannis There appears to be excitement about the display of 161 Cycladicising objects at New York's Metropolit...