Dr Christos Tsirogannis has identified two of the lots that are to be auctioned this week at Christie's from the Schinoussa Archive (linked to Robin Symes). This raises questions about when the objects passed through Symes' hands.
Lot 51, AN EGYPTIAN ALABASTER FIGURAL JUG
- with Nicholas Wright, London, prior to 1980.
- Private Collection, U.K., 1992.
- with Charles Ede, London.
- PROPERTY FROM THE HARER FAMILY TRUST COLLECTION
Lot 139, A ROMAN MARBLE COLUMN CAPITAL
- Antiquities, Sotheby's, London, 18 May 1987, lot 210 (part).
- Antiquities, Sotheby's, New York, 25 June 1992, lot 138.
For lot 51, is Robin Symes the anonymous private collector? Is this the best way to describe him?
For lot 139, when did Symes possess the capital?