Skip to main content

The ACCG, IAPN and PNG FOIA Case: Opinion Delivered

The long-running FOIA related case (Civil Case No. 07-2074 RJL) brought against the US Department of State (Defendant) by the Ancient Coin Collectors Guild (ACCG), the International Association of Professional Numismatists (IAPN), and the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) (Plaintiffs) appears to be drawing to a conclusion. On Friday last week (November 20, 2009) Judge Richard J. Leon delivered his opinion [download here].
... the State Department has established that it conducted a reasonable search, that it properly withheld the disputed information under FOIA exemptions, and that it complied with its obligation to segregate the exempted material from non-exempted material. The Court will therefore GRANT the Government's Motion for Summary Judgment and DENY the plaintiffs' Cross-Motion for Summary Judgment.
I notice that one of the FOIA requests included: "Count IV: documents evidencing the potential inclusion of coins on the list of items subject to import restrictions with Italy".

This means that only one week before this conclusion, the representative of the IAPN and the PNG was presenting the issue of coins to CPAC as part of the review of the MOU with Italy. The ACCG also issued a press release in the wake of the CPAC meeting attacking the AIA. Indeed only today, in spite of knowing the decision of of Judge Leon, Wayne Sayles ("Symbiosis Lost and Nuance in New York", Coinlink November 24, 2009) of the ACCG could write:
The die is cast, I fear, and the present struggle will continue until archaeology has established its dominance or private collecting its independence. I would predict that neither will happen soon nor without considerable animosity and a terrible loss of opportunity.
Sayles' position is hardly in keeping with the outcome of the FOIA request.

I suspect that the plaintiffs will be mounting an appeal but it is surprising that they have been unusually quiet on the decision.

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

Comments

Wayne G. Sayles said…
"Indeed only today, in spite of knowing the decision of of Judge Leon, Wayne Sayles ("Symbiosis Lost and Nuance in New York", Coinlink November 24, 2009) of the ACCG could write:
The die is cast, I fear, and the present struggle will continue until archaeology has established its dominance or private collecting its independence. I would predict that neither will happen soon nor without considerable animosity and a terrible loss of opportunity."


David;

I certainly hope your academic research is better than your blog research :-) The two articles that you cited from CoinLink (and claim that I wrote with knowledge of the FOIA decision) were published in my own blog on November 16th and 17th, four days before the FOIA decision was rendered. At the end of the day, all that I said in those articles remains valid. The FOIA suit was never about the conflict between archaeologists and collectors.

Regards,

Wayne
David Gill said…
Wayne
Thank you for your comment. Did you submit the article to CoinLink? The CoinLink piece (even if it recycled older material) did appear subsequent to the decision.
Best wishes
David
Wayne G. Sayles said…
David;

In response to your question: No, I did not "submit" the article(s). CoinLink, as its name implies, links to numismatic related articles from a variety of sources that the owner/webmaster sees as relevant. In this case, my blog posts (2 combined into one) were picked up by CoinLink a few days after they were published, which apparently created some confusion at your end. To be perfectly clear and transparent, I have given CoinLink (and others) blanket permission to use any of my blog posts that they deem appropriate. I do not, however, have any editorial control nor other interests in CoinLink.

My thoughts did precede, and were published prior to, the ruling—not that it really makes any difference. What I responded to here was the "in spite of..." aspersion that was cast in your previous comment. You did, perhaps innocently, jump to a faulty conclusion without ascertaining the facts.

Tomorrow is a uniquely American holiday, but I do wish a good day to all of your readers and a Happy Thanksgiving to those in America. Many of us are very thankful that private collecting of antiquities is still a legitimate activity within the United States.

Regards,

Wayne
David Gill said…
Wayne
A Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
Best wishes
David
Wayne G. Sayles said…
David;

Thank you for sticking pretty much to the facts in your PR Newswire release. It was an odd case in that the judgment went in favor of DOS, but we got a ton of information that DOS had denied us for years. It's hard to call it a loss (though we certainly would have enjoyed a judgment in our favor). Any appeal would probably be focussed on a relatively narrow topical area.

Thanksgiving was great, but now I'll have to work overtime to burn the extra calories :-)

Regards,

Wayne

Popular posts from this blog

Marble bull's head from the temple of Eshmun

Excavations at the temple of Eshmun in Lebanon recovered a marble bull's head. It is now suggested that it was this head, apparently first published in 1967, that was placed on loan to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art (Tom Mashberg, "Met Museum Turns Over Another Relic With Disputed Past to Prosecutors", New York Times August 1, 2017 ). The head is reported to have been handed over to the Manhattan district attorney after a request was received from the Lebanese authorities.

It is suggested that the head may have been looted from an archaeological storage area at Byblos in the 1980s during the Lebanese civil war. Mashberg has rehearsed the recent collecting history:
The owners of the bull’s head, Lynda and William Beierwaltes of Colorado, say they have clear title to the item and have sued Manhattan prosecutors for its return.  The Beierwaltes bought the head from a dealer in London in 1996 for more than $1 million and then sold it to another collector, Michael …

Sardinian warrior from "old Swiss collection"

One of the Sardinian bronzes of a warrior was seized from an as yet unnamed Manahattan gallery. It appears to be the one that passed through the Royal-Athena Gallery: Art of the Ancient World 23 (2012) no. 71. The collecting history for that warrior suggests that it was acquired in 1990 from a private collection in Geneva.

Other clues suggested that the warrior has resided in a New York private collection.

The identity of the private collection in Geneva will no doubt be telling.

The warrior also features in this news story: Jennifer Peltz, "Looted statues, pottery returned to Italy after probe in NYC", ABC News May 25 2017.

Attic amphora handed back to Italians

The research of Dr Christos Tsirogiannis has led to the return of an Attic red-figured amphora, attributed to the Harrow painter, to Italy (Tom Mashberg, "Stolen Etruscan Vessel to Be Returned to Italy", New York Times March 16, 2017).

The amphora is known to have passed through the hands of Swiss-based dealer Gianfranco Becchina in 1993, and then through a New York gallery around 2000 (although its movements between those dates are as yet undisclosed).

During the ceremony, Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., the District Attorney stated:
“When looters overrun historic sites, mine sacred spaces for prized relics, and peddle stolen property for top dollar, they do so with the implicit endorsement of all those who knowingly trade in stolen antiquities” More research clearly needs to be conducted on how material handled by Becchina passed into the North American market and into the hands of private and public collectors.