Back in September 2008 the Michael C. Carlos Museum spoke about the importance of a "credible provenance" or "history of ownership" in a press statement responding to Greek claims for three items in the museum.
As far as I can see the museum has never presented the authenticated collecting history (sometimes obsoletely termed the "provenance") for the Minoan larnax in its collection.
I have read the documentation on this piece and the photographic evidence from the Becchina archive is compelling.
I am also aware that the positive identification was made by Dr Christos Tsirogiannis.
We know that the "credible" collecting history for this larnax places it in the hands of Gianfranco Becchina. Why has it taken the Michael C. Carlos Museum seven years to ignore this "credible" evidence?
Discussion of the archaeological ethics surrounding the collecting of antiquities and archaeological material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A volute-krater with a "tremendous provenance"
A volute-krater attributed to the Syriskos painter by J.R. Guy (see BAPD 44988) is said by Michael Padgett to have been found with a psykter...
-
Source: Sotheby's A marble head of Alexander the Great has been seized in New York (reported in " Judge Orders Return of Ancien...
-
Detail of the Sophilos dinos © David Gill The Sophilos dinos in the British Museum has been reconstructed from approximately 50 fragments. I...
-
Source: Hellenic Consulate General in New York In September 2025 a number of antiquities were seized from New York’s Metropolitan Museum of ...

No comments:
Post a Comment