Skip to main content

The world's most disputed antiquities

© David Gill
I noticed a list of the top 5 most disputed antiquities in the world. At number 1 are the Parthenon Marbles.

Would the Morgantina "Aphrodite" have been in your top 5?

There is no mention of the Rosetta Stone, the Getty Athlete, or the Benin Bronzes. What about the Egyptian mummy mask in the St Louis Art Museum?

What would LM readers suggest as their top 5? Would you differentiate between historic removals and items that have surfaced in more recent years?

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know


Avatar said…
Great idea, David!

There are way too many (!) to list, but aside from those listed perhaps:

1. Nefertiti head
2. Bassae Frieze, London
3. Susa materials, Paris
4. Aegina Marbles, Munich

You should present the results of the survey at AIA ceremony next January!
Marc Fehlmann said…
The question is: Disputed by whom?

If there are no claims for certain objects, then there ar no disputes...
Tom Flynn said…
Why a top five? Why not a top ten, which is how most of these senseless polls proceed? That would include most of the usual suspects. In any event, there's no dispute that these are all disputed. The question is, what's to be done about them and will that list look any different ten years from now?
Avatar said…
Absolutely Agree with Marc and Tom.

@ Marc: the message is still obviously not reaching the right people, i.e. the buyers at the end of the chain. As long as there are people out there who do not see the link between looting, having no registered documents, and cultural heritage destruction, it is all wishful thinking.

@ Tom: first, I found it also odd to have a poll, but this is how you may reach audience who are into competing. Is there already a facebook page where Parthenon-marbles, Rosetta stone, Benin bronzes do some networking? Might be a good exercise for students to develop one. What is the experience of the Morgantina Aphrodite, and what would she tell to her fellow-looted companions around the world? But then again, it is easy to become frustrated because we know that there are hundreds of thousands antiquities out of their context. But the media is big in education here. How about a prime time show "Dancing with the Antiquities?" Winner goes back. But then again, this might again just foster the illicit market.
Paul Barford said…
@Avatar Originally tongue-in-cheek, but...
Avatar said…
Paul, This is fun! Thanks for sharing! Not so funny, of course the whole situation. Paul, Thumbs up also for your important work and the website, which I will follow from now on, too. Thank you!
Bill Thayer said…
It's a pity more of the Parthenon wasn't saved by the English before the Turks used it as an ammo dump in 1683; it's also a pity the Bamiyan Buddhas were too big for the West to rescue.

That said, the Etruscan chariot of Monteleone (now in the Met: probably belongs in the list, since it was spirited out of Umbria and Italy in the familiar sub rosa operation.
The really important question now is, as Tom Flynn has stated, what is to be done about these disputed objects. Do we approve of those who have looted artefacts of others, keeping them in their museums and are unwilling even to discuss the eventual return of some of the objects?

Readers might be interested in the list of top ten plundered artefacts published last year in Elginism.


Popular posts from this blog

Marble bull's head from the temple of Eshmun

Excavations at the temple of Eshmun in Lebanon recovered a marble bull's head. It is now suggested that it was this head, apparently first published in 1967, that was placed on loan to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art (Tom Mashberg, "Met Museum Turns Over Another Relic With Disputed Past to Prosecutors", New York Times August 1, 2017 ). The head is reported to have been handed over to the Manhattan district attorney after a request was received from the Lebanese authorities.

It is suggested that the head may have been looted from an archaeological storage area at Byblos in the 1980s during the Lebanese civil war. Mashberg has rehearsed the recent collecting history:
The owners of the bull’s head, Lynda and William Beierwaltes of Colorado, say they have clear title to the item and have sued Manhattan prosecutors for its return.  The Beierwaltes bought the head from a dealer in London in 1996 for more than $1 million and then sold it to another collector, Michael …

Sardinian warrior from "old Swiss collection"

One of the Sardinian bronzes of a warrior was seized from an as yet unnamed Manahattan gallery. It appears to be the one that passed through the Royal-Athena Gallery: Art of the Ancient World 23 (2012) no. 71. The collecting history for that warrior suggests that it was acquired in 1990 from a private collection in Geneva.

Other clues suggested that the warrior has resided in a New York private collection.

The identity of the private collection in Geneva will no doubt be telling.

The warrior also features in this news story: Jennifer Peltz, "Looted statues, pottery returned to Italy after probe in NYC", ABC News May 25 2017.

Attic amphora handed back to Italians

The research of Dr Christos Tsirogiannis has led to the return of an Attic red-figured amphora, attributed to the Harrow painter, to Italy (Tom Mashberg, "Stolen Etruscan Vessel to Be Returned to Italy", New York Times March 16, 2017).

The amphora is known to have passed through the hands of Swiss-based dealer Gianfranco Becchina in 1993, and then through a New York gallery around 2000 (although its movements between those dates are as yet undisclosed).

During the ceremony, Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., the District Attorney stated:
“When looters overrun historic sites, mine sacred spaces for prized relics, and peddle stolen property for top dollar, they do so with the implicit endorsement of all those who knowingly trade in stolen antiquities” More research clearly needs to be conducted on how material handled by Becchina passed into the North American market and into the hands of private and public collectors.