I would like to make an apology to Hugh Eakin in the wake of his piece in the New York Times [my response]. It was inappropriate of me to suggest that he was writing to prepare the way for another organisation.
Eakin and I disagree on our response to the antiquities "scandal", but I hope that we can continue to debate the core issues.
Discussion of the archaeological ethics surrounding the collecting of antiquities and archaeological material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cretan bronzes to return to Greece
Helmet and two mitrai from Afrati, Crete Source: New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art Part of what Günter Kopcke called "freebooter...
-
Source: Sotheby's A marble head of Alexander the Great has been seized in New York (reported in " Judge Orders Return of Ancien...
-
Detail of the Sophilos dinos © David Gill The Sophilos dinos in the British Museum has been reconstructed from approximately 50 fragments. I...
-
Source: Hellenic Consulate General in New York In September 2025 a number of antiquities were seized from New York’s Metropolitan Museum of ...
1 comment:
I wonder if Mr. Eakin will be ask kind and apologize to those working in source countries who he painted as extortionists.
Post a Comment