Skip to main content

Whoa! More on the Cambridgeshire Rider

The Roman bronze horse and rider from Cambridgeshire has been attracting further observations. Paul Barford talked about this specific piece back in November 2008 as it featured on the cover of the Review of the Portable Antiquities Scheme published by the MLA (2008) [pdf]. Paul has now commented on appeal to save this "stattuette ... of outstanding significance for the study of art, religion and society in Roman Britain" (DCMS Press Release, originally entitled "Culture Minister reigns in export of statuette of horse" (sic.)).

Barford notes the name of the original finder which led me to this report in The Times (London) (Dalya Alberge, "Metal detectives are a national treasure", November 23, 2007).
Duncan Pangborn, who first started metal detecting about five years ago, came across the Roman figurine, which dates from the 3rd or 4th century and is extremely well preserved, in an arable field in Cambridgeshire. "It was a shock," Mr Pangborn, a project manager from North Wymondham, told The Times, recalling the moment he lifted the figurine from a clump of earth close to the surface.

Asked about the thrill of his hobby, he said: "It's about finding something that hasn't been seen, in this case, for 1,700 or 1,800 years. It's about being the first person to handle it since the Roman owner, the link with the past."

The British Museum described the figurine as the most artistically distinctive and accomplished example so far discovered. Thought to have been a votive figure from a rural shrine or temple, it reflects the high level of horsemanship in Roman Britain: the gait of the horse and its pricked ears suggest that the animal is alert and paying direct attention to the commands being given by the rider.
The rider was sold at Bonhams in May 2008 and the new owner wants to export it: hence the appeal announced by the UK Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS).

I am also intrigued by the Press Association release ("UK buyer sought for rare Roman-era statuette", April 7, 2009):

The statuette was sold at Bonham's auction house in London last May for £10,200, and the culture minister Barbara Follett placed a temporary export bar on it until June 6 following advice from the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council (MLA).

...

The bar can be extended to September 6 if someone comes forward with a serious proposal to raise the £22,000 the Government has set as the recommended price for the statuette.
I had assumed that the piece had been purchased for £10,200 and that the new owner had asked for £22,000. But it seems I was wrong. If I understand this correctly, the market thought the piece was worth £10,200 and the Government set the "recommended price" at £22,000. Who was responsible for setting this higher price? Or is this press release incorrect?

Barbara Follett is the
Minister for Culture, Creative Industries and Tourism (see also the BBC).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marble bull's head from the temple of Eshmun

Excavations at the temple of Eshmun in Lebanon recovered a marble bull's head. It is now suggested that it was this head, apparently first published in 1967, that was placed on loan to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art (Tom Mashberg, "Met Museum Turns Over Another Relic With Disputed Past to Prosecutors", New York Times August 1, 2017 ). The head is reported to have been handed over to the Manhattan district attorney after a request was received from the Lebanese authorities.

It is suggested that the head may have been looted from an archaeological storage area at Byblos in the 1980s during the Lebanese civil war. Mashberg has rehearsed the recent collecting history:
The owners of the bull’s head, Lynda and William Beierwaltes of Colorado, say they have clear title to the item and have sued Manhattan prosecutors for its return.  The Beierwaltes bought the head from a dealer in London in 1996 for more than $1 million and then sold it to another collector, Michael …

Sardinian warrior from "old Swiss collection"

One of the Sardinian bronzes of a warrior was seized from an as yet unnamed Manahattan gallery. It appears to be the one that passed through the Royal-Athena Gallery: Art of the Ancient World 23 (2012) no. 71. The collecting history for that warrior suggests that it was acquired in 1990 from a private collection in Geneva.

Other clues suggested that the warrior has resided in a New York private collection.

The identity of the private collection in Geneva will no doubt be telling.

The warrior also features in this news story: Jennifer Peltz, "Looted statues, pottery returned to Italy after probe in NYC", ABC News May 25 2017.

Attic amphora handed back to Italians

The research of Dr Christos Tsirogiannis has led to the return of an Attic red-figured amphora, attributed to the Harrow painter, to Italy (Tom Mashberg, "Stolen Etruscan Vessel to Be Returned to Italy", New York Times March 16, 2017).

The amphora is known to have passed through the hands of Swiss-based dealer Gianfranco Becchina in 1993, and then through a New York gallery around 2000 (although its movements between those dates are as yet undisclosed).

During the ceremony, Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., the District Attorney stated:
“When looters overrun historic sites, mine sacred spaces for prized relics, and peddle stolen property for top dollar, they do so with the implicit endorsement of all those who knowingly trade in stolen antiquities” More research clearly needs to be conducted on how material handled by Becchina passed into the North American market and into the hands of private and public collectors.