Skip to main content

Looting in the Cairo Museum: Update

It appears that two of the items reported as stolen have now been found at the Cairo Museum (report from CNN).
Searchers found a heart scarab and one of 11 missing Shabti statuettes that had been reported missing Sunday, according to a statement from Zahi Hawass, Egypt's minister of antiquities.
He said it appeared thieves threw the scarab outside the museum. The statuette and part of a mummy were found on the ground outside of the museum's display areas, Hawass said.
 See also a report in Greek.

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

Comments

Euphronios said…
Jonathan Tokeley has said, "There have been numerous "thefts" from Cairo Museum over the last thirty years. Director Sala'h was sacked in the late 'eighties for "losing" 326 pieces, including a 3 metre sphinx, then Dr Nur el Deen, whilst Head of the Antiquities Commission., made a habit of checking items out of the Dashur and Saqqara depots, and losing them in transit to Cairo. He was sacked for shipping container loads of pieces to the the Gulf Emirates. There was also a famous theft, by some Coptic jewellers, who hid themselves in the sarcophagi in the right-hand vestibule until the museum closed.




But in all these cases the pieces were stolen, to be exported, and usually with direct government connivance. Since the Coptic theft, there have been a full platoon of infantry literally sleeping inside the museum all night. I know this, because when I was working with the Commission restorers, there was a scandal whereby the soldiers created the impression of a break-in---hacksawing a window at the back, rearranging some items inside a cabinet, etc---as a means to get their unpopular officer sacked (it worked).




So, first conclusion is that it's not possible to get inside that museum at night without at least a full Major in the army being on the payroll, and most probably---from my extensive experience of the Antiquities police---several generals at headquarters.




Second conclusion, this was not just a theft. Thieves don't also smash things. They care about the objects. My feeling is that it was an Islamic-inspired cash-flow expedition, rather along the lines of Kabul Museum, which was utterly smashed up by the Taliban, except for some saleable items that were used for cash-flow for weapons (including the artillery shells they used on the Bamiyan Buddhas, so the legend has it).




The pieces that were taken were all small and saleable because of the cachet. I imagine they're in Qatar or the Emirates, which is where the main buyers are these days, and where there's no compunction about showing such things to close friends. They're quite blatant.




At least the pieces will be well cared for, and eventually can be sold back to any responsible who takes power in Egypt, if the Muslim Brotherhood don't sweep the board and start smashing things, according to the recent Fatwa.




My main concern would be the possibility of more things being smashed---several solar barques went this time, and another guardian figure, as I understand---, and the fact that there's not a decent "objects restorer" in the whole of Egypt, and they're most unlikely to let us go down and do the work for them..."

Popular posts from this blog

Marble bull's head from the temple of Eshmun

Excavations at the temple of Eshmun in Lebanon recovered a marble bull's head. It is now suggested that it was this head, apparently first published in 1967, that was placed on loan to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art (Tom Mashberg, "Met Museum Turns Over Another Relic With Disputed Past to Prosecutors", New York Times August 1, 2017 ). The head is reported to have been handed over to the Manhattan district attorney after a request was received from the Lebanese authorities.

It is suggested that the head may have been looted from an archaeological storage area at Byblos in the 1980s during the Lebanese civil war. Mashberg has rehearsed the recent collecting history:
The owners of the bull’s head, Lynda and William Beierwaltes of Colorado, say they have clear title to the item and have sued Manhattan prosecutors for its return.  The Beierwaltes bought the head from a dealer in London in 1996 for more than $1 million and then sold it to another collector, Michael …

Sardinian warrior from "old Swiss collection"

One of the Sardinian bronzes of a warrior was seized from an as yet unnamed Manahattan gallery. It appears to be the one that passed through the Royal-Athena Gallery: Art of the Ancient World 23 (2012) no. 71. The collecting history for that warrior suggests that it was acquired in 1990 from a private collection in Geneva.

Other clues suggested that the warrior has resided in a New York private collection.

The identity of the private collection in Geneva will no doubt be telling.

The warrior also features in this news story: Jennifer Peltz, "Looted statues, pottery returned to Italy after probe in NYC", ABC News May 25 2017.

Mithras relief from Tor Cervara

A fragmentary relief of Mithras was discovered in 1964 at Tor Cervara on the outskirts of Rome. It was acquired by the Museo Nazionale Romano.

A further fragment of the relief was acquired by the Badisches Landesmueum in Kalrsruhe in 1976. The source was an unstated Swiss dealer. This fragment has been reunited with the rest of the relief [press release].

Today a further fragment of the relief was reunited with the other pieces. This had been recovered during a raid in Sardinia.