Skip to main content

Announcing news on Thanksgiving Day

Steinhardt Sardinian Figure
Source: Tsirogiannis / ARCA
The apparent removal of the Steinhardt Sardinian figure from auction at Christie's is timely. After all, today is Thanksgiving Day. Eight years ago, also in late November, the J. Paul Getty Museum announced the return of its first batch of material to Italy.

So perhaps it is a day to bury "bad news".

But what is surprising is that a major institution like Christie's has not absorbed the lessons of the last eight years in what has become known as "The Medici Conspiracy".

Academic researchers now realise that it is important to probe and investigate "collecting histories".

And we know that it is important to check the photographic archives that have been seized by the Italian authorities.

Staff in the "Ancient Art" department at Christie's need to adopt a more rigorous due diligence process to prevent this type of incident happening again. They ought to recognise that their present process is not "fit for purpose".

It is perhaps timely that my next essay in the 'Context Matters' series for the Journal of Art Crime is on this very theme.

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

Comments

kyri said…
hi david,do the people at christies have access to the "seized archives"if they dont how could they possibly do their due diligence.
kyri.
DR.KWAME OPOKU said…
Constant and permanent observation of all those who stand to benefit from the selling of objects with dubious history is what academics should have learnt from the experience of the last two decades. Kwame Opoku.
David Gill said…
For the body responsible for checking if objects are on a database of "stolen" objects see here:
https://www.academia.edu/849412/Polaroids_from_the_Medici_Dossier_Continued_Sightings_on_the_Market
kyri said…
hi david,firstly let me congratulate you on your academia page,very impressive,i will enjoy reading some of the papers when time allows.
so it seems christies did not consider ex-medici pieces to be "problematic" or stolen property,if that is the case than they are going to have to withdraw many more pieces in the future and they deserve all the bad publicity that they get.as we know the ALR is not fit for purpose when conducting due diligence on antiquities so if christies are relying mainly on them they will have problems but my question is would the italian authorities tell christies if a piece is in the dossier or wait till the catalogue is published,so they can get maximum publicity out of any returns?if they say ,"yes" to christies the piece is in the dossier,than what will stop the piece just disappearing underground and sold privately.unless the italians are willing to help and christies are willing to disclose the id of the consigner at the very least,the status quo will not change.i personally dont believe the italians will tell them anything and so christies could not do their due diligence,maybe im wrong. christies can take a big step in the right direction by accepting that anything in the medici dossier is very problematic,that is a very basic requirement in my eyes.
kyri.

Popular posts from this blog

The scale of the returns to Italy

I have been busy working on an overview, "Returning Archaeological Objects to Italy". The scale of the returns to Italy from North American collections and galleries is staggering: in excess of 350 objects. This is clearly the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the material that has surfaced on the market without a history that can be traced back to the period before 1970. 

I will provide more information in due course, but the researcher is a reminder that we need to take due diligence seriously when it comes to making acquisitions.

Stele returns to Greece

The Hellenic Ministry of Culture has announced (Saturday 8 September 2018) that a stele that had been due to be auctioned at Sotheby's in London in June 2017 has been returned to Greece (Friday 7 September 2018). The identification had been made by Cambridge-based forensic archaeologist Dr Christos Tsirogiannis.

It appeared that the stele had been supplied with a falsified history as its presence with Becchina until 1990 contradicted the published sale catalogue entry. It then moved into the hands of George Ortiz.

A year ago it was suggested that Sotheby's should contact the Greek authorities. Those negotiations appear to have concluded successfully.

The 4th century BC stele fragment, with the personal name, Hestiaios, will be displayed in the Epigraphic Museum in Athens. It appears to have come from a cemetery in Attica.



"Beating sites to death"

Policy decisions for protecting archaeological sites need to be informed by carefully argued positions based on data. Dr Sam Hardy has produced an important study, “Metal detecting for cultural objects until ‘there is nothing left’: The potential and limits of digital data, netnographic data and market data for analysis”. Arts 7, 3 (2018) [online]. This builds on Hardy's earlier research.

Readers should note Hardy's conclusion about his findings: "they corroborate the detecting community’s own perception that they are ‘beat[ing these sites] to death’".

Pieterjan Deckers, Andres Dobat, Natasha Ferguson, Stijn Heeren, Michael Lewis, and Suzie Thomas may wish to reflect on whether or not their own position is endangering the finite archaeological record. 

Abstract
This methodological study assesses the potential for automatically generated data, netnographic data and market data on metal-detecting to advance cultural property criminology. The method comprises the analysi…