|Source: Becchina archive|
It is worth reviewing the collecting history for the piece:
- piece handled by Greek trafficker, Giorgos Ze[ne...]
- 25 May 1988: Gianfranco Becchina paid SF 60,000 to Zene
- Object placed in the Basel Freeport
- Andre Lorenceau cleaned and then drilled the fragment to create holes for mount
- April 1991: Swiss art market
- Attributed by Dr Guntram Koch [date of attribution not provided]
- 1992: Royal-Athena Galleries, Art of the Ancient World vii, no. 57
- 2000: Royal-Athena Galleries, Art of the Ancient World xi, no. 30
- April 2000: Dr H collection, Germany
- 2016: Royal-Athena Galleries, Art of the Ancient World xxviii, no. 6 [online] Price on Request
- 2017, 14 January: fragment seized
- 2017, 10 February: sarcophagus returned to Greece
Will there be further clues in the Becchina archive showing how material passed from Switzerland to North America?
For further information and images see ARCA.