Skip to main content

A Roman Villa, Coins, and Loss of Context

Lindum Heritage have been excavating a Roman villa at Sudbrooke in Lincolnshire. The dig diary is on-line. It includes this telling entry:
We arrived on site to find that we had had a criminal visitor in the early hours. The individual concerned had trespassed onto the site, scanned the open trenches with a metal-detector and dug twenty or so holes into the archaeology to steal metal artefacts from the site ... The loss of the objects - probably of little value as metal does not survive well on the site - is not the most disappointing aspect of this crime; it is the damage that has been done to the archaeological record that is most significant. These objects when recorded in their proper contexts are likely to have provided much valuable evidence about the dating and function of the site - this information is now lost forever. As the finds themselves had been pre-donated to the Lincolnshire archaeological collection and would have been publicly available the theft was actually committed against us all. Even worse the loss of the educational value of the objects is a crime not only against the present generation but against future generations. This is the crime of a particularly immoral and selfish person.
This event clearly illustrates the point that archaeologists have been making in the face of strong criticism from the North American coin-collecting lobby (see "Misunderstanding the Portable Antiquities Scheme?"). The opposition included a comment from Dave Welsh, an officer of the Ancient Coin Collectors Guild (ACCG), who asserted:
The argument that those who go clandestinely prospecting for coins with metal detectors disturb archaelogical [sic.] sites has been convincingly refuted by statistics compiled by the Portable Antiquities Scheme in the UK, which demonstrate that only 2% of reported coin discoveries are made by archaeologists.
Indeed officers of the ACCG seem to be in denial about the destruction of archaeological contexts in the search for new specimens to place in coin cabinets. Perhaps they need to reflect on the irreversible damage to Sudbrooke Roman villa.

Photograph © Lindum Heritage, 2007.

Comments

mtdking said…
I cannot condone the criminal damage cause by this person or persons and am like the majority of metal detectorist in this country law abiding and work very closely with our areas FLO the criminals concerned are labled night hawkers and if we were to discover who they were etc then retribution would be taken, so please donot lable the majority for the sake of the very very small minority.
David Gill said…
Thank you for leaving this comment. I was addressing a point made by the ACCG in the USA - and I appreciate that there are many enthusiastic metal detectorists in the UK who are providing information to the PAS.

Popular posts from this blog

Marble bull's head from the temple of Eshmun

Excavations at the temple of Eshmun in Lebanon recovered a marble bull's head. It is now suggested that it was this head, apparently first published in 1967, that was placed on loan to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art (Tom Mashberg, "Met Museum Turns Over Another Relic With Disputed Past to Prosecutors", New York Times August 1, 2017 ). The head is reported to have been handed over to the Manhattan district attorney after a request was received from the Lebanese authorities.

It is suggested that the head may have been looted from an archaeological storage area at Byblos in the 1980s during the Lebanese civil war. Mashberg has rehearsed the recent collecting history:
The owners of the bull’s head, Lynda and William Beierwaltes of Colorado, say they have clear title to the item and have sued Manhattan prosecutors for its return.  The Beierwaltes bought the head from a dealer in London in 1996 for more than $1 million and then sold it to another collector, Michael …

Sardinian warrior from "old Swiss collection"

One of the Sardinian bronzes of a warrior was seized from an as yet unnamed Manahattan gallery. It appears to be the one that passed through the Royal-Athena Gallery: Art of the Ancient World 23 (2012) no. 71. The collecting history for that warrior suggests that it was acquired in 1990 from a private collection in Geneva.

Other clues suggested that the warrior has resided in a New York private collection.

The identity of the private collection in Geneva will no doubt be telling.

The warrior also features in this news story: Jennifer Peltz, "Looted statues, pottery returned to Italy after probe in NYC", ABC News May 25 2017.

Attic amphora handed back to Italians

The research of Dr Christos Tsirogiannis has led to the return of an Attic red-figured amphora, attributed to the Harrow painter, to Italy (Tom Mashberg, "Stolen Etruscan Vessel to Be Returned to Italy", New York Times March 16, 2017).

The amphora is known to have passed through the hands of Swiss-based dealer Gianfranco Becchina in 1993, and then through a New York gallery around 2000 (although its movements between those dates are as yet undisclosed).

During the ceremony, Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., the District Attorney stated:
“When looters overrun historic sites, mine sacred spaces for prized relics, and peddle stolen property for top dollar, they do so with the implicit endorsement of all those who knowingly trade in stolen antiquities” More research clearly needs to be conducted on how material handled by Becchina passed into the North American market and into the hands of private and public collectors.