Skip to main content

Looting in Caria

It appears that the tomb of Hecatomnus, satrap of Caria, has been "discovered" by looters near the ancient site of Milasa in western Turkey ("Illegal dig leads to ancient king's tomb", UPI August 5, 2010; "Illegal excavation reveals an important discovery", Hürriyet Daily News August 8, 2010). Hecatomnus is important as he was the father of Mausolus whose monumental tomb was one of the wonders of the ancient world.

Among the 'finds' was a relief sculpture showing a banquet scene.

Apparently the looting team consisted of at least eight individuals. Several arrests have been made.

This is a good reminder that sensitive archaeological sites, even ones of major historical significance, are being looted to provide objects for the international market in recently-surfaced antiquities.

Further links and video available from Paul Barford, "Portable Antiquity Collecting and Heritage Issues".

Image
From Hürriyet Daily News

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

Comments

Yasar said…
For additional visual material as well further discussion related with this tragic archaeological looting incident (shame on all local authorities in Milas), please see:

http://www.radikal.com.tr/Radikal.aspx?aType=RadikalDetay&ArticleID=1012518&Date=08.08.2010&CategoryID=77

http://www.radikal.com.tr/Radikal.aspx?aType=RadikalGaleriHaber&Date=08.08.2010&ArticleID=1012523&PAGE=20

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/son-100-yilin-en-onemli-kesfi-yerinde-sergilenecek/turkiye/sondakika/18.04.2008/1275716/default.htm?ref=haberici

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/Yasam/SonDakika.aspx?aType=SonDakikaGaleri&ArticleID=1275716&PAGE=1

http://www.haberturk.com/kultur-sanat/haber/541326-turkiyenin-tutankhamonu

http://phdiva.blogspot.com/2010/08/hecatomnus-tomb-found.html

Worth to check details of the reliefs, wall paintings and the extremely fine masonry on the passageway leading to the burial chamber. Although, many details would be lost, but online translation sources may be used for following the Turkish texts accompanying the web pages cited above.

Yasar Ersoy
David Gill said…
Teşekkür ederim,
David
Yasar said…
Video footage of the monument taped by the looters and distributed to the press by the Police Department.

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/defineciler-mezari-videoya-cekmis/turkiye/sondakikaarsiv/15.08.2010/1276455/default.html

Yasar Ersoy

Popular posts from this blog

The scale of the returns to Italy

I have been busy working on an overview, "Returning Archaeological Objects to Italy". The scale of the returns to Italy from North American collections and galleries is staggering: in excess of 350 objects. This is clearly the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the material that has surfaced on the market without a history that can be traced back to the period before 1970. 

I will provide more information in due course, but the researcher is a reminder that we need to take due diligence seriously when it comes to making acquisitions.

Stele returns to Greece

The Hellenic Ministry of Culture has announced (Saturday 8 September 2018) that a stele that had been due to be auctioned at Sotheby's in London in June 2017 has been returned to Greece (Friday 7 September 2018). The identification had been made by Cambridge-based forensic archaeologist Dr Christos Tsirogiannis.

It appeared that the stele had been supplied with a falsified history as its presence with Becchina until 1990 contradicted the published sale catalogue entry. It then moved into the hands of George Ortiz.

A year ago it was suggested that Sotheby's should contact the Greek authorities. Those negotiations appear to have concluded successfully.

The 4th century BC stele fragment, with the personal name, Hestiaios, will be displayed in the Epigraphic Museum in Athens. It appears to have come from a cemetery in Attica.



"Beating sites to death"

Policy decisions for protecting archaeological sites need to be informed by carefully argued positions based on data. Dr Sam Hardy has produced an important study, “Metal detecting for cultural objects until ‘there is nothing left’: The potential and limits of digital data, netnographic data and market data for analysis”. Arts 7, 3 (2018) [online]. This builds on Hardy's earlier research.

Readers should note Hardy's conclusion about his findings: "they corroborate the detecting community’s own perception that they are ‘beat[ing these sites] to death’".

Pieterjan Deckers, Andres Dobat, Natasha Ferguson, Stijn Heeren, Michael Lewis, and Suzie Thomas may wish to reflect on whether or not their own position is endangering the finite archaeological record. 

Abstract
This methodological study assesses the potential for automatically generated data, netnographic data and market data on metal-detecting to advance cultural property criminology. The method comprises the analysi…