Tuesday 20 July 2010

Madrid: Sources for the Várez Fisa Collection

I have been working my way through the catalogue of the Várez Fisa collection. I notice that some 114 of the 183 objects (i.e. 62%) in the catalogue have no apparent collecting histories.

Among the objects that surface in this catalogue for the first time is a Gnathian ware bell-krater (no. 144). An image of what appears to be the same piece features in the Medici Dossier. (See also here where Fabio Isman illustrates the same link.)

Where (and how) did the Spanish collector acquire those antiquities that have no stated collecting histories?

Image
Krater and other antiquities featured in the Medici Dossier


Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

2 comments:

fabio isman said...

the picture of this Gnathia Vase is taken in Burki restoring laboratory: some other pictures taken in it could demonstrate it; I have someone in my files, and they came from Medici portfolio, bye

fabio isman said...

the picture of this Gnathia Vase is taken in Burki restoring laboratory: some other pictures taken in it could demonstrate it; I have someone in my files, and they came from Medici portfolio, bye

The Stern Collection in New York: Cycladic or Cycladicising?

Courtesy of Christos Tsirogiannis There appears to be excitement about the display of 161 Cycladicising objects at New York's Metropolit...