I have been working my way through the catalogue of the Várez Fisa collection. I notice that some 114 of the 183 objects (i.e. 62%) in the catalogue have no apparent collecting histories.
Among the objects that surface in this catalogue for the first time is a Gnathian ware bell-krater (no. 144). An image of what appears to be the same piece features in the Medici Dossier. (See also here where Fabio Isman illustrates the same link.)
Where (and how) did the Spanish collector acquire those antiquities that have no stated collecting histories?
Image
Krater and other antiquities featured in the Medici Dossier
Discussion of the archaeological ethics surrounding the collecting of antiquities and archaeological material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A volute-krater with a "tremendous provenance"
A volute-krater attributed to the Syriskos painter by J.R. Guy (see BAPD 44988) is said by Michael Padgett to have been found with a psykter...
-
Source: Sotheby's A marble head of Alexander the Great has been seized in New York (reported in " Judge Orders Return of Ancien...
-
Detail of the Sophilos dinos © David Gill The Sophilos dinos in the British Museum has been reconstructed from approximately 50 fragments. I...
-
Source: Hellenic Consulate General in New York In September 2025 a number of antiquities were seized from New York’s Metropolitan Museum of ...

2 comments:
the picture of this Gnathia Vase is taken in Burki restoring laboratory: some other pictures taken in it could demonstrate it; I have someone in my files, and they came from Medici portfolio, bye
the picture of this Gnathia Vase is taken in Burki restoring laboratory: some other pictures taken in it could demonstrate it; I have someone in my files, and they came from Medici portfolio, bye
Post a Comment