Skip to main content

Operation Andromeda: From Switzerland to Rome

Earlier today the Carabinieri held a press conference at the Colosseum in Rome. They displayed 337 antiquities, worth some 15 million euros, that were returned from Geneva at the end of June 2010. They had been seized during a joint Italian-Swiss raid (Operation Andromeda) on the Geneva Freeport earlier this year. The objects appear to have been derived from archaeological sources in Lazio, Puglia, South Italy and Sicily, and Sardinia. They included a loutrophoros, a marble statue of Venus, Athenian and Apulian volute kraters, Canosan masked kraters, a Chalcidian cup, various bronze objects, Pompeian frescoes, and two Sardinian figures.

The premises were linked to a Japanese art-dealer and a Swiss businessman. Neither is named.

I note that the Miho Museum built its collection in part through a Swiss-based dealer.

Image
© MiBAC / Carabinieri

Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

Comments

fabio2.isman said…
David, the not-named collector is Noryioshi Horiuchi; the carabinieri said today they have found his archives and "this open a new front, that lokks at Orient". The other material are not from Italy, the Swiss Police have blocked them, but I don't know how long. Among the italian objects, only the ones for wich was an evidence of looting, are came back; I think they was 1.500 in total. For the first time, the carabinieri decided to show the antiquities in the arena of Colosseo, Coliseum, and upon the undesecretary (viceminister) Giro, the stories are starting again. Giro confirmed the proposal of an "archeocondono", a law that would be cancel every responsability, is over: retired. bye

Popular posts from this blog

Marble bull's head from the temple of Eshmun

Excavations at the temple of Eshmun in Lebanon recovered a marble bull's head. It is now suggested that it was this head, apparently first published in 1967, that was placed on loan to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art (Tom Mashberg, "Met Museum Turns Over Another Relic With Disputed Past to Prosecutors", New York Times August 1, 2017 ). The head is reported to have been handed over to the Manhattan district attorney after a request was received from the Lebanese authorities.

It is suggested that the head may have been looted from an archaeological storage area at Byblos in the 1980s during the Lebanese civil war. Mashberg has rehearsed the recent collecting history:
The owners of the bull’s head, Lynda and William Beierwaltes of Colorado, say they have clear title to the item and have sued Manhattan prosecutors for its return.  The Beierwaltes bought the head from a dealer in London in 1996 for more than $1 million and then sold it to another collector, Michael …

The Toledo skyphos and a Swiss private collection

The Attic red-figured skyphos attributed to the Kleophon painter in the Toledo Museum of Art (inv. 1982.88) is now coming under further scrutiny following the research of Dr Christos Tsirogiannis. The skyphos shows Hephaistos returning to Olympos.

Tsirogiannis has identified what appears to be this skyphos in five photographs in the Medici Dossier. The museum acknowledged that the skyphos had resided in a 'private Swiss collection'. Tsirogiannis suggests that this is probably a reference to Medici.

Enquiries to the museum by Tsirogiannis elicited the information that the skyphos had been acquired from Nicholas Koutoulakis (although that information does not appear on the museum's online catalogue).

The curatorial team at the Toledo Museum of Art will, no doubt, be contacting the Italian authorities to discuss the future residence of the skyphos.

For further discussion of the Toledo Museum of Art on LM see here.

Reference
Tsirogiannis, C. 2017. "Nekyia: Museum ethics an…

Metropolitan Museum of Art hands over Paestan krater

In May 2014 I commented on a Paestan krater acquired by New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art after it had been identified by Dr Christos Tsirogiannis in photographic images seized from Giacomo Medici. Tsirogiannis published his full concerns in the Journal of Art Crime in 2014, but it has taken a further three years for the museum to respond.

The krater showing Dionysos in a hand-drawn cart was purchased in 1989 from the Bothmer Purchase Fund (details from the Museum's website, inv. 1989.11.4). The krater surfaced through Sotheby's New York in June 1989.

It is unclear who consigned the krater to Sotheby's New York.

It has now been revealed that the krater has been handed over to the US authorities after a warrant had been issued (Tom Mashberg, "Ancient Vase Seized From Met Museum on Suspicion It Was Looted", New York Times July 31, 2018).

It appears that the museum did make an attempt to resolve the case in December 2016. Mashberg notes:
The Met, for its par…