Skip to main content

Call for Bluestones to return to Pembrokeshire

Recent archaeological fieldwork on the slopes of Carn Menyn in the Preseli mountains in south-west Wales have identified the likely quarry sites for the bluestones erected at Stonehenge, the World Heritage site in Wiltshire.

Dr Simon Thurley, chief executive of English Heritage, is quoted on the BBC ("Excavation starts at Stonehenge", March 31, 2008): 

"The bluestones hold the key to understanding the purpose and meaning of Stonehenge."
Recent excavations have shown the intended layout of the bluestones at Stonehenge (see English Heritage Timewatch video).
 

In a surprise move Y Gymuned Ffyliaid Ebrill has called for the symbolic return of one of the bluestones from Salisbury Plain. A spokesperson from the Pembrokeshire-based group explained that they would be making their case later this month at the Cairo conference where various countries will be calling for the return of cultural property:
The bluestones are as important to the people of Pembrokeshire as the Rosetta Stone is to the people of Egypt. We are not asking for all the stones to be returned: just the one. And a generous sponsor has agreed to make a copy for display at Stonehenge; nobody will know the difference.
In response, the Ancient Cambrian Cromlech Group issued a press statement condemning the move: 
The bluestones have a more appropriate context in the wilds of Salisbury Plain. More motorists see the stones from the A303 as they travel to the West Country than there are walkers in the Preseli Mountains. They are an integral part of the Wiltshire landscape.
Full details of the Cairo conference will be issued shortly.

Image
© David Gill, 2010


Bookmark and Share so Your Real Friends Know that You Know

Comments

Paul Barford said…
Thank you for bringing this weighty (in more ways than one!) matter to our attention, I have taken the liberty of commenting on my own blog. I find it telling that people like Cultural Property Observer are all too willing to criticise measures taken to preserve the heritage in their homeland when the people involved are Gentlemen of Darker Complexion but less willing to draw attention to these issues when it is being contested within white European nations. I'd be surprised if anyone in the collecting blogger community has any critical coverage of this issue, but we'll see.
Wordslinger said…
Nice try, David. My Welsh isn't so bad that I can't offer up a half decent translation of the group's name...
ChrisM

Popular posts from this blog

Codename: Ainsbrook

I have been watching (UK) Channel 4's Time Team this evening. The programme looked at an undisclosed field (under a potato crop) where a Viking burial had been found. The location in Yorkshire was so sensitive that it was given a codename: Ainsbrook. Here is the summary:
In late 2003 two metal detectorists were working in a field in Yorkshire. They found 'treasure' buried just beneath the surface – a collection of Viking material next to a body. Although they had been detecting on the site for a number of years, during which time they had made large numbers of finds, nothing they had uncovered previously compared with this. They decided to share their discovery with archaeologists.The programme explored the tension between metal-detectorists and the English Heritage sponsored archaeologists putting six trenches into the field based on a geo-physical survey. Finds made by the metal-detectorists did not easily map onto the archaeological features.

Part of the programme had an …

The scale of the returns to Italy

I have been busy working on an overview, "Returning Archaeological Objects to Italy". The scale of the returns to Italy from North American collections and galleries is staggering: in excess of 350 objects. This is clearly the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the material that has surfaced on the market without a history that can be traced back to the period before 1970. 

I will provide more information in due course, but the researcher is a reminder that we need to take due diligence seriously when it comes to making acquisitions.

Stele returns to Greece

The Hellenic Ministry of Culture has announced (Saturday 8 September 2018) that a stele that had been due to be auctioned at Sotheby's in London in June 2017 has been returned to Greece (Friday 7 September 2018). The identification had been made by Cambridge-based forensic archaeologist Dr Christos Tsirogiannis.

It appeared that the stele had been supplied with a falsified history as its presence with Becchina until 1990 contradicted the published sale catalogue entry. It then moved into the hands of George Ortiz.

A year ago it was suggested that Sotheby's should contact the Greek authorities. Those negotiations appear to have concluded successfully.

The 4th century BC stele fragment, with the personal name, Hestiaios, will be displayed in the Epigraphic Museum in Athens. It appears to have come from a cemetery in Attica.